Our neighbour was lucky enough to score a couple loads of fill dirt and when I went to ask her where she got it (because we desperately needs some fill dirt over here) she said someone was digging a pool and wanted to get rid of it so she told them to come dump it in her yard) since she has some low areas she wants to fill). She also said that she probably has more dirt than she could possibly use so we're welcome to some (since her husband is feeling keen to get their driveway back).
So today we prepped our front yard for some DIY landscape work. The house had some scraggly bushes out front that we just didn't love. Plus we need to raise that entire area of the house so that it slopes away from the house rather than towards it, for basement flooding reasons.
Here's a look at our house in July (after our new windows were installed):
And here's the "after" picture I took today, though we still have a long ways to go before we can really consider it "after":
We pulled up all the bushes in a single day!
Andrew was afraid it was going to take us forever (since pulling the holly bushes out at our Hummingbird Lane house really did take forever). Benjamin and I managed to get three bushes out while Andrew was in a meeting, then Andrew came and helped us dig out three and a half more before leaving to take Miriam to her organ lesson. And while they were gone, Benjamin and I took out another bush and the last half of a bush. It was a long, tiring day, but we all survived and we only broke one shovel!
Here are a few pictures of the "during":
When we picked up his shoe we found a little inchworm doing his best to blend in with his surroundings:
Here you can see his pile of googly-eyed monsters next to the little vampiress Rachel is putting together: