I was just hanging some laundry up to dry which meant that I was out on the balcony by myself, leaving Rachel and Daddy in the kitchen making lunch unsupervised. Big mistake!
When I had finished with the laundry I walked back into the house and noticed a firey-smokey smell. Andrew greeted me by the balcony door dancing and singing,
"Andrew started the fire! It was always burning since the world's been turning! Andrew started the fire!"
Long story short, he used a simmer ring to boil soup. This was a bad idea. The handle of the simmer ring caught on fire and now our kitchen smells great.
Andrew used to have this problem of turning up the heat so high that the flames would lick the plastic handles of our pot and they would melt and it smelled horrible. So I've been trying to train him to watch the level of the flame while he turns it up so that it all stays under the pot.
He thought the simmer ring would solve that problem. Today was his first time using it, though, and he seemed to be able to ignore all the very obvious labeling on the package.
"Heat defuser....Do not preheat....Use low to medium flame or heat....Do not use high flame or heat."
I could go on, but it's fairly obvious to me that this is a "simmer" plate, not a "boil on the highest temperature possible" plate.
"Wow, honey! This is the second time you've started a fire in our kitchen since we've been married," I remarked.
The first time was like a year and a half ago, so really I thought he was doing pretty good. Until he corrected me.
"Actually," he said, "I caught the popcorn on fire last night, too. So this is the third time I've started a fire since we've been married and the second time in two days."
I don't know how I forgot about the popcorn, but I did. Let's hope this seemingly new trend does not continue.
Welcome to the family...I have been trying to teach Mom and the kids not to cook anything above medium-high to no avail. At least he didn't butter the bread before he put it in the toaster like my brother did. I caught my brother trying to toss water the toaster (which was flaming about three feet, enough to catch the cabinets on fire) with it stilled plugged in. I walked over unplugged it, slid it into the sink turn the water on, grabbed the pitcher he had and threw the water onto the cabinet, told my bother he was in trouble and walked away (maybe I shouldn't have mentioned buttering the bread before toasting, hope Andrew doesn't read this, sorry Nancy). But you'll learn not to let Andrew near a stove.ReplyDelete
I think you should limit Andrew to non-cooking food tasks, like making sandwiches... Hee hee. That is too funny.ReplyDelete
Even sandwiches can create a problem if left unattended. :)ReplyDelete
Wow, that's quite the record you've got going there with the burning of food stuffs. I hope you can get the smell out of your kitchen...there's nothing worse(well, there's plenty, really but...) than walking into your kitchen and having it wreak of smoke and then having to cook in it. That happened not long ago for us too!ReplyDelete
Hey he's almost caught up to Matthew with home fires...........ReplyDelete
In all fairness, Andrew made a lovely dinner and didn't catch anything on fire.ReplyDelete
I, however, just scorched our oven mitt while taking some cupcakes out of the oven. I was holding it and it was on fire! I just about died of panic!
So...that's one for me, three for Andrew.
And, Kelli, I don't think I ever want Andrew to even rival Matthew and his pyro-skills!
Just consider Andrew a glorified boyscout. Then again, we usually meant the fires we started in scouts...ReplyDelete