Wednesday, June 10, 2015

48 hours: Yin-Yang

On Monday night I went to bed early...but Zoë woke up to eat like ten minutes after so it didn't do much good. And then she stayed up until around midnight. And then I got up with her at 2:30 and she stayed awake until nearly 6:00 in the morning when I left her in the middle of the living room floor and just walked away (because sometimes that's all you can do).

Andrew got up to console her and actually got her to go to sleep and then he got ready for the day and made sure Rachel was up and eating breakfast before he woke me up at 7:30. He planned to take the van in to get the airbags replaced (we're part of a big recall thing) and then go to campus via the dealership's courtesy shuttle.

I took Rachel out to meet her bus around 8:00 and by the time I got back inside, all the kids were awake and ready to start the day. So I got breakfast ready, started a load of laundry, scrubbed some toilets, pumped some milk, and so forth.

At around 9:30 Andrew messaged me to tell me the van wouldn't be ready until 6:00, which was a problem because Rachel had a birthday party to attend at 5:30. I set about finding a ride for her. And then I set about taking a nap because hello.

I turned on a show for the kids, fed the baby, and promptly fell asleep for the duration of Toy Story.

The rest of the day is a bit of a blur. Let's just say it ended like this:

  • Some sweet sisters in the ward brought us pizza for dinner, along with a darling dress for Zoë, and all the makings for ice cream sundaes. 
  • They stayed and chatted for a while, which was great because I'd hardly seen anyone over three feet tall the whole day and because...
  • Andrew missed the last shuttle back to the dealership due to a miscommunication and got stranded on campus so I had to find a ride home for Rachel as well, while he figured out a way to get back to the dealership to pick up our van. He didn't get home until after 8:00 PM!
I was half asleep on the couch when he came home. He took Zoë from me, dished out ice cream sundaes for the kids (because I just couldn't), got the kids into bed, and sent me to bed early (after I pumped). 

Zoë actually stayed asleep for awhile. He brought her to me around 11:00 and I fed her and she stayed awake until around 1:00. But then she slept, woke up to eat, slept, woke up to eat, and slept.

She woke up around 8:30 this morning and stayed up until around 10:00. She ate, we did tummy time, changed her diaper, and fed her again. Miriam got up shortly after I put Zoë down. Benjamin didn't get up until nearly 11:00 (which is probably a good thing because he was Mr. Yo-Yo man last night—I walked him back to his bed at least four times throughout the night). 

The rest of the day doesn't look too bad. Andrew should be home on time, and we took a meal out of the freezer for tonight's dinner.

I just thought it was funny that on a day where I got no sleep, the kids got up in the morning and we ended up having kind of a crazy day (I don't know what I would have done if dinner hadn't been plopped in my lap), and then on a day where I actually get some sleep, the kids have what we refer to as a "mega sleep-in" and the day looks chock-full of the mundane and ordinary.

After a full 24 hours of yin I'm more than happy to have a little yang in my life again (so I can gear up for the next bout of yin). 

No comments:

Post a Comment