Thursday, March 29, 2007

What a week!

I woke up Wednesday morning and it was not a happy experience. Andrew had to work late last night and I couldn't sleep without him because I was scared. So I fell asleep on the couch waiting for him to come home from work, which means that I didn't actually go to bed until 12:30 or so.

And wouldn't you know it...I look out the window and see this:

Yuck! March came in like a lion, so it should be going out like a lamb. Of course, I think there's a warning in the scriptures about people who try to predict the weather by silly little sayings instead of focusing on more important issues, so maybe I'll just let the whole weather thing go and accept it as it comes...

Work was okay on Wednesday, but we have this big Conference that we've been setting up for all week and I feel like I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off. People have been coming into my office saying, "I need ________." My job is then to get that for them. The problem is that I haven't known what ______ was all week. I always say, "I don't know where it is off the top of my head, but I can look for it." And then they say something like, "I need it in the next five minutes."

That is almost an impossible task. It takes five minutes to walk from one side of the stacks to the other, let alone search for something that I am not even sure what it is.

Finally my day ended and I was able to go home...with my mom. Andrew had a group project meeting on Wednesday at 5:00, then he had a play performance at 6:30, and then he had to work from 7-10.

After eating dinner at my mom's house, Mom, Josie, and I left to head back to BYU to watch David's last folk dance recital. We stopped by my house so that I could grab the camera and some food for Andrew. I was so prepared that I even grabbed extra batteries for the camera.

We got to BYU just in the nick of time, booked it to the library (hehe, booked it the library), and gave Andrew his food right in front of a patron he was helping (it was Sister Elder, so I wasn't too concerned). Then we rushed to the Wilk to go to David's performance.

We chose our seats and sat down and I turned on the camera to check the status of the batteries, when what to my wondering eyes should appear but a plain white screen and no pictures to cheer. I, of course, lost my composure (my mom said that gets easier to control with each pregnancy). I did everything I could think of to get the display screen to work. I took the batteries out and put them back in and nothing happened. I put in the new batteries and nothing happened. I replaced the memory card and nothing happened. I turned it off and on in various settings and nothing happened. I took a few pictures and, well, those actually worked, but they look horrible...

Luckily there was a band giving a concert at the beginning so I didn't feel guilty walking out. My mom suggested that I go see Andrew because he just has this "magic" touch that fixes things. I knew it would be futile. We'd have to get a new camera. I wouldn't get any pictures of David. And my whole life was ruined.

Josie and I ran over to the library. I gave the camera to Andrew and blubbered, "It's broken."

He turned it on. The same white screen appeared. "Interesting..." he mused.

He took out the memory card. Turned on the camera. Turned off the camera. Replaced the memory card. Turned on the camera. It worked.

Josie laughed. I was happy that Andrew fixed the camera, but honestly...I tried that. I tried everything. And then he looks at the camera and it fixes itself. "I hate techies..." I muttered.

"You're welcome," Andrew said, "Stop crying now."

After cheering me up enough that I could actually be grateful that he fixed the camera, Josie and I ran back to the Wilk. The dancers still hadn't come on stage so we were able to enjoy a wonderful evening of music and dance, capturing my brother's final moments on his folk dance team.

Andrew and I headed home at 10:00 pm after having been on campus since before 8:00 am. And then it was homework time. So I didn't see my husband all day, except at lunch. I ran into him in the lunchroom (yay)!

Thursday wasn't much better.

We did school and work from 8 am until 4:30 pm. Since we were actually home before 8:00 (that would be the first time this week), I took a nap. Andrew forgot to wake me up and so I didn't wake up myself until 5:50, which would have been fine except that I had to be at the church at 6:15 to get ready for the Stake Primary Leadership Training...that I had to help organize.

Really, I feel insecure in my calling, often. Hello, everybody, I'm 21 and am expecting my first child. Let me help you learn how to teach these children. I suppose I was a nursery teacher for a few months, and I taught CTR 6...but here I am teaching Primary Presidencies who all have at least 5 children and some of whom have been in primary for, no joke, 17 years! I was 17 only 4 years ago.

Giving my part of the presentation was a little intimidating. Good thing it wasn't all me up there. I definitely had some help. I suppose a lot of people are intimidated by their callings: Moses, Brigham Young, etc., etc., etc. So I'm normal, I suppose.

After finishing my part of the presentation, I left early with Andrew (shame on me) to go pick up our costumes from our high school ballroom coach, Alison. We then headed back to the church so I could help clean up. I got home about 9:40 and called all the people in a musical group that I had to arrange and remind them that we were practicing Friday at 4:00.

Then I made a list of everything I have to do today (blogging is on that list, trust me). I made the list on the white board (so that I wouldn't lose it) and read over it. On my list I have, "Make a shopping list." I am so frazzled this week that I put "make a list" on my list of things to do. How sad is that?

Luckily it's General Conference weekend so I don't have to talk in church, I don't have to go to any ward conferences, I don't have to sing or lead music or substitute in primary. I can just sit back and listen, and then dive right back into my busy schedule on Monday.

I have to get cracking on my list of things to do now, but I will return to fill you in on a few more things that happened this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment